Thursday, October 04, 2007

DADDY LOVES HIS JOB

Aspen,
Since your mommy moved away I have been raising you by myself. I have had people from time to time tell me that they couldn't raise a child by themselves and that they admired how I am taking care of all that goes with raising a child on my own.
The funny thing is that I have never found the task to be that challenging. I certainly have a lot less free time to hang out with friends and I can't go to all the concerts I would if your mom still lived here to watch you half the week, but I thoroughly enjoy doing all the daddy tasks with and for you.
I love cooking dinner for two as you sit in the living room doing your homework. I love taking you to riding lessons. I love volunteering at your school so I can see you in class (a setting in which most parents rarely get to see their child interact). I love planning the birthday parties. I love helping you get ready for bed and up in the mornings. I love getting you to school. I love all of our interactions throughout ever day. I love watching you get smarter and wiser. I love seeing you ask more detailed and intelligent questions than you did from the month before. I love having to buy you new clothes when the ones I got you a month ago that you only wore once are now too small. I love reading to you, particularly when you bring it up. I love you wanting to hear more of my music (Buffett, Cash, Springsteen). I love when you ask me for advice on how to deal with friends or situations at school. I love seeing your interest form in hobbies and passtimes as the months go on.
I do not find raising my 8 yr old girl to be 'work', at least not hard work.
Being your daddy continues to be the most educational and rewarding undertaking I could ever be blessed with. There are times when I am challenged by being a full time single daddy, but 'challenging' is a positive. I have never felt overwhelmed by anything in the realm of 'daddydom'.
There is nothing I would change about my life or who you are.

Labels: